January 19th, 2013 is a significant date: the long-anticipated opening of the 1907 Justices Court Building, home to the North Shore Historical Museum, will take place 104 years to the day from the original dedication of the building by the Town of Oyster Bay in 1909. This building may be remembered as the former Glen Cove Police Dept. Headquarters and City Court. The building was designed in 1907 to be a Town of Oyster Bay Courthouse and Jail, with construction completed in 1908. It later saw service as a temporary hospital during the 1918 flu epidemic, and became a temporary City Hall after Glen Cove became a city in 1919.
Following a brief ceremony at 10:30 am, the doors will open to the public at 11 am for building tours.
Admission is free to Museum Members and children under 13. Admission for non-members:
Adults $5.00 / Teens & Sr. Citizens $4.00
Family Museum Memberships are available at $20 for the year.
For a guided group tour, contact the Museum Director, Colleen Yoder at:
Director@NorthShoreHistoricalMuseum.org to reserve a time. Group tours will be conducted every 30 minutes until 4:30 pm on Jan. 19th.
After Jan. 19th the Museum will be open to the public on Wednesdays (2 pm to 6 pm) and Saturdays (11 am to 3 pm).