Four people were hospitalized Monday night after emergency workers responded to a carbon monoxide alarm at a home on Janet Lane at 10:10 p.m., according to .
A family of three were treated at the scene by Glen Cove EMS workers, then sent to Nassau University Medical Center for further treatment, said Glen Cove EMS spokesman Matt Venturino. A fourth person, a neighbor, was treated at the scene and sent to Glen Cove Hospital.
The used gas detectors to get readings of 35 parts per million (PPM) of the gas, with the highest readings on the home's second floor. That level is the amount where symptoms such as headaches and dizziness occurr after constant exposure.
Venturino said the incident serves as a reminder of the danger of the gas year-round.
"Carbon monoxide isnt just a problem during the winter months," he said in an email. "It is present year long. Carbon monoxide is a toxic, colorless and odorless gas. The best way to detect carbon monoxide is to install detectors on each floor of your home."