.

Updated: Fire Damages St. Rocco's Bakery

Glen Cove Police evacuate residents of nearby houses.

After a fire broke out early Thursday at St. Rocco’s Bakery, residents of surrounding houses were asked to evacuate by .

Det. Christopher Albin, who was assigned to the case, said it was necessary “due to the intensity of the fire and the relationship of the bakery to nearby homes.”

Numerous fire departments from surrounding areas responded to assist the in extinguishing the blaze and to prevent it from spreading, said Det. Albin.

Director of the Building Department, Richard Summa, said construction to the new bakery was almost three-quarters of the way finished when the fire occurred.

“It was engulfed,” said bakery owner, Lisa. “It’s pretty devastating.”

She pointed to a wall adjacent to the bakery, covered in black ash, saying it “stopped her [neighbor’s] garage from going on fire.”

The incident follows an after a fire partially destroyed the building in December, 2007.

Calls reporting the large fire were received at approximately 3:10 a.m., according to Det. Albin. The bakery was scheduled to open this fall. 

The fire has been deemed suspicious in nature and is currently under review by the Arson Bomb Squad, the Fire Marshal’s Office, and the Glen Cove Police Department. No injuries were reported.

Anyone with information regarding the fire is asked to contact the Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-244-TIPS. All calls will remain anonymous.

Elena DiMarco September 01, 2011 at 09:30 PM
Thanks to Michael Archambault for contributing photography to this article.
Mike M September 02, 2011 at 11:29 AM
The mothers and fathers Italian association? Why would they want to burn down a bakery?
sam September 02, 2011 at 01:32 PM
All that really matters is there was NO ONE hurt!!!! You can replace a brick not a life. God Bless to the family~
charles September 03, 2011 at 01:53 AM
No Gas or Electric hook up YET, buildings just don't burn down ! ! N C fire marshal will find who's responsible.... I SMELL A RAT ! ! ! ! !
Erica September 03, 2011 at 10:43 PM
I feel horrible for this family. There is no way it was a accident. There was only a brick oven in there. No gas, no electric nothing that could have started the fire by mistake. I am not by any means saying i know for sure but come on everyone. God bless the family that this happen to and pray for the horrible people that might have done this
Frank TheFrowner September 03, 2011 at 11:37 PM
Ponder this... Wood, what the frame was constructed with, doesn't burn hot enough to cause the vinyl siding on the adjacent homes to melt. It is obvious that an accelerate was used (i.e. gasoline). Aside from having no gas or electric service, the fire started at approximately 3-3:15am which is suspicious in its own right. The NC Fire Marshall would do dick about this and no one will be punished. It is absolute BS how this kind of crap happens with impunity. Society is decaying and festering, WAKE UP PEOPLE!
GCPete September 05, 2011 at 08:42 PM
Great. Can somebody look into that other 'suspicious' fire on Forrest that took down the failing BBQ place? How long are we going to be forced to live with that eye-sore? Remember when this area used to be thought of as the Gold Coast?
Bill Tetley September 12, 2011 at 01:22 AM
"The fire has been deemed suspicious in nature...anyone with information regarding the fire is asked to contact the Crime Stoppers hotline..." Yeah sure, that is going to happen. Sign in front of this joint says, "Coming Soon..Spring 2011", they'd better take care of the scumbags that did this in the first place.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »