An 87-year-old Glen Cove man lost his life Sunday when a fire broke out in his Whitney Circle home, according to Glen Cove police.
The victim's 85-year-old wife was also home at the time of the fire, which occurred at about 9:45 p.m. She was transported to Glen Cove Hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Police are not releasing the names of the couple at this time.
A police spokesman said it appears the man accidentally knocked over a kerosene lamp and was ignited in flames. The fire is under investigation.
Mayor Ralph Suozzi said he was in the vicinity of the home when the fire broke out and was first on the scene. Power had been restored to the neighborhood hours earlier before cutting off again, and Suozzi said he was driving with his window down listening for generators to see exactly where power was out.
"I smelled smoke and heard someone yelling for help," he said. "I saw the woman coming from around the side of the house with smoke or soot on her face. The house was fully involved."
Suozzi entered the home but saw that it was too late for the home's owner, who he said was a personal friend.
A Glen Cove EMS member was also driving nearby at the time and responded within minutes, according to Glen Cove EMS chief Matt Venturino.
Emergency workers entered the home through a rear door and found the man deceased in a back room, police reported.
Glen Cove EMS responded with two ambulances, and two more were called in from Glenwood Fire Company and Roslyn Rescue Fire Company.
Suozzi was treated for smoke inhalation at Glen Cove Hospital.
Follow Glen Cove Patch on Facebook